Hey, y’all! One of my goals for this year was to get back on my meal prep grind! I was super into it over the summer, but really fell off track once I moved apartments, got new (terrible) appliances, and lost a whole lot of counter space. That being said, ya girl is no quitter and she is ready to hop back on the wagon! Let’s get it!
Why Meal Prep is Amazing
I like cooking, but it’s definitely a lot of work to do it on a daily basis! I hate having to defrost something every night and think of something new to whip up all the time. Usually, I just end up eating spaghetti over and over again, because I just need something quick and easy to put together. Meal prepping allows me to put in some work on Sunday and just live my best life throughout the rest of the week!
Meal prep also helps me eat a little bit healthier. It’s hard to be like, “Oh, no! I have nothing to eat! I guess I have to get a 4 for $4 from Wendy’s” when you always have something in your fridge that’s ready to go! It also saves money, because it’s way cheaper to eat my own food that Wendy’s food.
Tips/Strategies for Success
- Prep 2-3 Different Meals: Meal prep should not feel like you’re preparing left overs. The best way to do this is to make small quantities of multiple meals that you can rotate throughout the week.
- Make Interesting Meals: Again, meal prep isn’t just leftovers! Make meals that excite you! Every Saturday I go on Pinterest searching for delicious new ideas to keep things fresh!
- Sheet Pan Meals are Your New BFF: This is a recent discovery for me, but it’s the fastest way to cook a bunch of meals! Just throw some meat and veggies on a cookie sheet, throw it in the oven, and voila!
- Don’t Prep if You Don’t Have To: I always see people on Instagram and Pinterest with cute containers of yogurt, almonds, and granola and that is just not realistic for me. I prefer to save time and just keep the fixings for quick and easy snacks and breakfast around my apartment and grab them as needed, rather than putting them in ready-to-go meal prep containers.
- Invest in the Stupid Containers: In December I bought some 3 compartment meal prep containers on a whim and it was a great buy. It really helps get your portions correct and stops your food from touching so nothing gets soggy in the fridge!
- Shop Smart: Okay, this one should be obvious, but you need to plan your meals ahead of time and make a list of all the ingredients you need. I like to pick meals that have a lot of ingredients I already own or shared ingredients so I can buy less stuff at the store.
Free Meal Prep Planer
I also made my own meal planner and decided to share it with you all! Mine starts at Monday, because I prep all my food on Sunday! It also has a grocery list so I can add in the stuff I need to buy as I skim over the recipes. The snack portion is mainly for y’all’s benefit! I don’t plan snacks, but it can be helpful to write down what snacks you want to eat so you know what to add to your shopping list!
Do you like to meal prep?
Thanks for reading!
Until next time, have an awesome rest of your day and an amazing rest of your week!